Pages

Denim Crescent Skirt

Hello again!

Today I'm posting about a fun make- the crescent skirt! My general tendency is to make dresses, but a lot of times I don't feel like wearing a dress/I want separates so I have been trying to make more basic separates. I think a lot of bloggers have mentioned this before but I definitely sometimes struggle to make pieces I KNOW I will wear, rather than something that is fun but impractical for one reason or another. Enter- a nice denim crescent!

































Pattern: Sewaholic Crescent Skirt, View B
Fabric: Washed indigo 8oz denim from Style maker fabrics, small amount of woven Ikat also from Style Maker
Listening to: Up and Vanished (Just me or did this end a bit anticlimactically...)
Drinking: WINE
Also pictured: 3 sloth moon shirt

When I was in high school I actually had a skirt JUST like this that I found in a thrift store with a broken zipper- I replaced the zipper and then wore the skirt TO DEATH. Eventually I think the zipper wore out again and I replaced it again, but at that point the whole side was a frayed mess. I managed to find a picture of it!!

Being awkward in beautiful places
Anyway, back to crescent. When sewaholic announced the pattern I immediately remembered my beloved skirt and thought the pattern would be perfect to recreate it. One of the things I loved about the original skirt was that it was made in a slightly heavier denim so despite the gathers it didn't blow up in wind very easily. Since the denim I chose was a bit heavier, I only interfaced 1/2 of the waistband pieces, instead of both sides as the pattern directed. I added a bit of length (an inch? just eyeballed it) to the skirt and made the hem a little narrower than instructed. I also contemplated contrast topstitching, but I wanted the skirt to be a bit dressier and I worried that denim style topstitching in copper or yellowish would make the skirt look more casual/kind of silly and I couldn't think of another color so I stuck with black. I love the fitted waistband, it doesn't ride up at all and comes to the perfect spot at my waist. The pattern also fit perfectly as is (I cut a 4) which I loved! I generally have a good amount of space at the waist in patterns as written but not this time :) I usually wear this skirt with crop tops since it comes up nice and high so not too much skin shows, but I was already wearing my sloth shirt on this particular day and didn't really feel like changing into something else. I think this outfit will definitely end up in my rotation now!




This pattern went together very easily/quickly and the instructions were great! I made a mistake though (or should I say... added a feature!!!) when I was cutting. Since the fabric was so heavy I didn't want to make the entire pocket in the same denim, so I used a small piece of this woven Ikat I had leftover from another project. I forgot that with slash pockets the top of the bag forms the top side of the skirt, and didn't make the pockets as symmetrical as I could have given that some of the Ikat pattern shows. Ultimately I could have cut the back pocket piece out of the denim but I decided I liked the contrast from the ikat, but didn't have enough to recut so that the pattern was more even. Oh well! Still happy with how it came out. I also had a pretty nice metal zip in my stash so I decided to go with an exposed zip. I know some people hate on the exposed zips but I really like them! 


I can see in this picture (since I don't typically look too much at my back) that I could probably add a hook and eye at the top to keep the zipper from gapping. It does zip all the way up but I guess falls a bit when I wear it. Also the zipper I had was pretty nice but also like forest green (why did I end up with that color metal zipper? More intriguing- why do I have 5 of them?) but the stitching goes close up enough to the teeth that I don't think you can really tell. 


Final close up of the seaming and topstitching! I really like the waistband on this skirt, it's super flattering. You can see a hint of the green zipper I used but from the right side it doesn't show too much! This pattern also lends itself really well to neat insides- I used french seams for the sides and just zig zagged the edges of a pockets since I don't have a serger (whomp whomp), but otherwise, the whole waistband is totally encapsulated and tidy. And that's pretty much it! Going to go mope and listen to the cure like I would have in my old favorite skirt. 

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging! I have a blog and enjoy looking back on what I've done. That gives me such a sense of accomplishment...not only was the project mine, but the blog post and what it contributed to my part of the sewing world was mine too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement! I love the online sewing community and am excited to contribute to it in some small way :) and I hadn't even thought of that but this will he a great way to catalogue things and hopefully look back and see improvements over time!

      Delete
  2. I love your skirt and the pockets. I was wondering about the length. Are you tall or is the pattern supposed to be short?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is supposed to be above the knee, but I am also 5'10" with most of my height in my legs so skirts do wind up short on me if I don't add more length. View C of the pattern is the same as this view but with a longer length!

      Delete

WOOOO let the comments flow through you!