Pages

Grainline Alder

Hello hello hello! Today I'm continuing on the grainline fan train with my dual alders- views A AND B!! Just can't get enough of this one. Thought I had seen the last of them for the season too except that summer decided to revist nyc this weekend. 




Pattern: Grainline studios alder shirtdress
Fabric: Cotton arrow shirting from Style maker fabrics (sold out now, both of them! Sorry)
Listening to: The Black tapes

I love this dress! As always with grainline patterns, the pattern is a dream to sew up and the style is a perfect combination of casual and polished. And comfortable!! As I've previously mentioned I'm a bit of  a summer sweater and I enjoy my makes to be able to withstand the heat of nyc subways. The loose fit of alder (and sleeveless design) makes it perfect! 





There's not a lot for me to say about this pattern that hasn't been said already. As always I added about 2 inches to the length at the waist. I made it up in a black arrow cotton shirting from style makers that is beautifully smooth and breathable. I just love this dress! I like the way it looks buttoned all the way up and I love how it looks undone a little. I'm hoping that as the weather cools down it will also look great with some tights and a sweater. There is actually a pocket on this, even though you really can't tell. It's on my right side, I pattern matched it so it pretty much blends in. I finished everything with french seams for a nice clean finish, although there are only 2 seams that require it! I also enjoy adding a belt!




I love the mini length of this skirt, but if I make it again, I might add a bit more length to it. Especially when it's belted it is a bit short. I am planning on making an archer/alder combo with some flannel but for some reason I like my winter dresses shorter than summer dresses... I think tights give me more of a sense of security? Anyway I was such a fan of this dress I wanted to make another one! This time I went for view B



Pattern: still alder shirtdress
Fabric: Cotton Ikat from Style maker fabrics (sold out now, both of them! Sorry)
Buttons: metal "coat" buttons from Mood
Listening to: The Black tapes

This version I made up in the slightly girlier view b, with the gathered back panel. I love the shape of this dress! The fabric is a gorgeous woven ikat from style makers. Side note- I feel like a terrible sewer because even though I live in nyc and could go to mood... I get SO overwhelmed in there and order all my fabric online, even sometimes from mood D: There's something about some of the surprise of what you get with online ordering that I really enjoy. Although, with style maker that almost never happens because their descriptions and pictures are so accurate #fangirl.  Anyway this ikat was gorgeous, it has a slightly more open weave (but is still fully opaque, thankfully) that I think gives it a really nice drape. 





It's funny what I notice when I look at the pictures of what I've made vs just wearing/making the garment. I clearly cut the back piece crooked and the ikat print leans a bit. Oh well! It's funny what sewing my own clothes does to my opinion of garments... I'm not convinced that I would notice that on a RTW dress. although, I didn't notice it on this dress either until I was looking at the pictures so maybe I'm just kind of oblivious. Also, if the fabric looks a little familiar- it may be because this is the ikat fabric that I used for contrast in my crescent skirt. A big reason I am motivated to sew is to reduce waste since fast fashion especially can be SO wasteful, it makes me really happy to be able to use up my scraps and odds and ends in different projects.




This dress I added about 3 inches total for a bit more extra length. I dropped the waist about an inch. It looks like it is supposed to hit high waist, so I didn't add any more length there, and I am happy with where it ended up. then I added 2 inches to the skirt. I like the length! This dress I added both pockets and didn't worry about pattern matching. I can never decide if I want to blend the pockets in or have them stand out. Anyway I went with standout on this one, obviously. Also, I know that Jen/grainline posted a tutorial for how to french seam the corner on the skirt but I was not feeling that for this one so I just zig zagged the edges to finish the waist and the vertical attachment of the skirt to the button band. This dress I also sometimes like to belt. 




All in all, I love this pattern! both views are so versatile and I have gotten a ton of wear out of both of them. I am a huge fan of the fabric as well, I don't always go for larger scale patterns but the woven ikat really won me over! 

That's it for me! going to go drink some wine and enjoy the rest of my sunday. Happy sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

WOOOO let the comments flow through you!