Pages

Tencel Kalle shirt dress

Hi friends! today I am going to discuss a make that I think came out particularly great! It's sometimes hard to tell when I am planning a new garment how it will come out and how much I will like it or if it will look like what I imagined, but this kalle shirt dress turned out just about exactly how I thought it would!



Fabric: 4.5 oz black tencel from mood (sold out, sorry!) 
Listening to: Reply All!

This black tencel is really gorgeous. It has a really subtle sheen, which in these pictures makes it look straight up shiny and SUPER wrinkled, but in real life it looks neither so wrinkly nor so shiny!
The fabric has maybe slightly more body than I would prefer for this design, I think it might look slightly better with a bit more drape. but overall I love the way the sheen dresses up the look, since the design is pretty casual. The shape of this dress is maybe not the most figure flattering, but I have really embraced the mentality that not every garment has to be fitted to be flattering. Plus, the roomy fit means this dress is SO breezy and comfortable in warm weather. 



Construction of this dress was pretty simple, and the instructions were great! I added about 2 inches to the length as well as reduced the scoop in the side seam (just lengthened that seam by about an inch probably before starting the curve) I just generally am not a fan of the extreme curve that the original pattern has. If I make this again I will probably reduce the curve even more. I love a little bit but I think the overall amount is a bit too much for me personally, though the amount of curve looks great on the cropped shirt version of the pattern. 

I topstitched everything with a grey thread which I think has a nice subtle contrast to the fabric. The back side of the fabric is much lighter, which you can see at the hem of these photos and also on the top of the pocket! I was debating the pocket with the contrast fold but now I don't know what I was thinking, I love it! I also picked some silver buttons, I love the way they look with the dark but slightly shiny fabric. Again, this fabric has a MUCH more subtle sheen in real life than it seems in these pictures!


Oof that back is wrinkly. I ironed this after washing it and then hung it in my closet but I should have ironed before these pictures, clearly! Although I do think some of the wrinkly appearance is from the shine of the fabric and the camera flash. That being said I have worn this dress A LOT and washed it a number of times so I am pleased with how it has held up! I was a little unsure what would happen with this fabric after multiple washes but it looks the same as it did when I first made this.


Here is a close up of the top where you can see the topstitching a little better, though the colors are a bit washed out. You can also see a bit of one of the cats I'm currently fostering who REFUSED to move for me to take this picture. I also have a towel on the bed to try to encourage him to lie on that to reduce the amount of hair on my comforter at the end of the day but you can see how well that works....


So that's kalle! I will definitely make this dress again, maybe in a bit drapier fabric although I do love the chambray look! I thought I would have to retire this dress for the season but nyc keeps rolling out the gross muggy weather so it's still kalle time! That's it for now! Hopefully I can finish blogging my summer stuff before the weather turns and looking at myself in summer clothes makes me cold! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

WOOOO let the comments flow through you!